History of the Association
The “Asociacion Argentina de Anatomia Clínica” is born on the 2nd of January in 2008 in the city of Cordoba (Cordoba, Argentina).
The founding members are 33 professors natives to different argentine provinces, among which are counted Buenos Aires, C.A.B.A., Córdoba, Corrientes, Mendoza, Tucumán, Santiago del Estero and two professors from Rumania.
The first board of directors for the period 2008-2010 was constituted as follows:
- President: Prof. Susana Biasutto.
- Vicepresident: Prof. Horacio A. Conesa.
- Secretary: Prof. Raúl A. Beltramino.
- Treasurer: Dr. Marcos Spinelli.
- 1st Principal Chair: Prof. Alba Suárez de Rossi.
- 2nd Principal Chair: Prof. Juan Armando Guidobono.
- 3rd Principal Chair: Prof. Gustavo HRA Otegui.
- 1st Alternate Chair: Prof. Elia Martino de Vargas.
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Prof. Edgardo Bettucci.
- 3rd Alternate Chair: Dr. César Bergottini.
The 1st Congress of the AAAC is made in the town of Huerta Grande, Córdoba, Argentina, from 23 to 26 September. The geographical setting could not be better; the mild climate, the freshness and the blue sky its sunrises, the transparent air of night crowned by stars created a nice contrast to it’s walls of green trees and ocher hills.
The organizing committee was chaired by Professor Dr. Susana N. Biasutto, accompanied by Dr. Andrea V. Salas (Secretary) and Dr. Marcos A. Spinelli (treasurer) and a host of young enthusiasts of the anatomy that bent over backwards to make this the best meeting.
To highlight the international impact this 1st event was, suffice it to mention quickly the source of the foreign scientists who attended it: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, USA, Italy, Peru, Czech Republic, Romania, Switzerland, Turkey and Uruguay.
The meeting formally began with words from the President of the Argentina Association of Clinical Anatomy, who warmly welcomed and invited those present to listen to the inaugural lecture by Professor Emeritus Dr. Stephen W. Carmichael (Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA.), who served then as Editor in Chief of the journal “Clinical Anatomy”. The theme: ” Integración longitudinal de la enseñanza de la anatomía a lo largo de la carrera de medicina.” Professor Carmichael, noted the importance of articulating vertically content of the anatomy to medical practice and other career disciplines.
Noting the importance of the integration of anatomy in the medical curriculum matrix is for premonitory anticipated manner to what has been a constant in the different events that would follow this first.
By late 2009, comes out 1st issue of the Journal of the Argentina Association of Clinical Anatomy, the Editor in Chief was and continues to be Prof. Dr. Susana Biasutto.
During the 1st Congress renewal of the board occurs it being made for the period 2010-2012 as follows:
- President: Prof. Raúl A. Beltramino
- Vicepresident: Prof. Elia Martino de Vargas
- Secretary: Prof. Alba Suárez de Rossi
- Treasurer: Prof. Manuel Brahim
- 1st Principal Chair: Prof. Gustavo HRA Otegui
- 2nd Principal Chair: Dr. Abraham A. I. Campero
- 3rd Principal Chair: Dr. Luis E. Criado del Río
- 1st Alternate Chair: Prof. Raúl M. Audi
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Prof. Carlos La Rocca Farruggia
- 3rd Alternate Chair: Dr. Albert G. Corball
During this period were organized the 1st Annual Conference of research and teaching of the AAAC in the city of Mendoza, Mendoza and the 2nd Congress of our Association in the city of San Miguel de Tucumán.
In the first of these events lectures were given and symposia were held whose themes centered on models of the anatomy curriculum change in the medical career.
The progress made by imaging techniques (X-ray) applied to the knowledge of the patient’s anatomy was presented. Moreover different free papers that touched different topics of macro, meso and microscopic morphology were presented. Those wishing more details consult the topics may be directed to the website of our association with the Journal of the AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin; 2010, 2 (3): 124-141) whose link is:
In September of 2011, in the city of San Miguel de Tucumán the 2nd Congress of the AAAC was held. It convened a large group of Argentine researchers and several researchers from Latin American countries such as Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay. Scientists from Australia, Japan and Slovakia also attended.
Those wishing to consult with more details the topics covered during the 2nd Congress of the AAAC can go to the website of our association with the Journal of the AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin 2011, 3 (3): 130-155) whose link is:
During the 2nd Congressional renewal of the board it being made for the period 2012-2014 as follows occurs:
- President: Prof. Elia Martino de Vargas
- Vicepresident: Prof. Gustavo HRA Otegui
- Secretary: Prof. Sergio Tamayo
- Treasurer: Prof. Alicia Penissi
- 1st Principal Chair: Dr. Juan Carlos Luciarte
- 2nd Principal Chair: Dr. Luis E. Criado del Río
- 3rd Principal Chair: Prof. Raúl M. Audi
- 1st Alternate Chair: Prof. Fernando Martínez Benia
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Prof. Luis Rivamar
The 2nd Annual Conference of Research and Teaching are made in Montevideo, Uruguay from 26 to 27 October, in conjunction with the 1st Congress of the Uruguayan Association of Anatomy. Those wishing to consult with more details the topics covered during the 2nd Conference of the AAAC can go to the website of our association and magazine AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin; 2012, 4 (3): 110-130) whose link is:
The 3rd Congress of the AAAC was held in Mendoza from 25 to 28 September and featured the usual presence of Argentine anatomists from different provinces and foreigners. Among these teachers Australia, Chile, Spain, Italy, Paraguay, Romania, Slovakia, among others counted. Those wishing to consult with more details the issues addressed during the 3rd Congress of the AAAC can go to the website of our association and magazine AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin; 2013, 5 (3): 250-269) whose link is:
During the above mentioned 3rd Congress, renewal of the board it being made for 2014-2016 as follows occurs:
- President: Prof. Gustavo HRA Otegui
- Vicepresident: Prof. Sergio Tamayo
- Secretary: Dr. Marcos Spinelli
- Treasurer: Prof. Horacio A. Conesa
- 1st Principal Chair: Prof. Manuel Brahim
- 2nd Principal Chair: Dr. Luis E. Criado del Río
- 3rd Principal Chair: Prof. Alicia Penissi
- 1st Alternate Chair: Dr. Juan Carlos Luciarte
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Prof. Raúl M. Audi
The 3rd National Research and Teaching Days presided by Professor Sergio Tamayo were held at the National University of Salta, in the city of the same name, from September 18 to 20, 2014.
The Journeys held in Salta were of great strategic importance for the dissemination of the activities developed by the Argentine Association of Clinical Anatomy and for the development and growth of these scientific activities throughout the Argentine north.
Those who wish to consult in more detail the topics addressed during the 3rd AAAC Conference can be directed to the website of our association to the magazine of the AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin 2014, 6 (3): 185-196) whose link is:
On October 25, 2014, the AAAC organized at the headquarters of the National University of the South the Conferences for Updating in Clinical Anatomy, which was chaired by Prof. Otegui who gave a series of lectures related to the advances in clinical anatomy And its impact on the health sciences.
Our Association regularizes its situation and is fully integrated as a member of the International Federation of Association of Anatomists. Professor Susana Biasutto, 1st president of our Association and current Editor-in-Chief of our Argentine Journal of Clinical Anatomy was elected Secretary of the IFAA at the Congress held in Beijing, China.
In the last 2 years (2014 and 2015) our Association incorporated 235 partners, passing in this period of 184 partners to 419 partners.
Our Association recognized as national honorary members two prestigious members of our Association:
a) Prof. Dr. Raúl Beltramino and b) Prof. Dr. Alba Suárez de Rossi and 36 distinguished foreign professors (see foreign honorary members in the Directory) as foreign honorary members from the following countries:
Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Slovakia, Spain, France, India Italy, Japan, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, United Kingdom, Romania, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela.
During the year 2015 the first 6 Chapters of the Argentine Association of Clinical Anatomy were founded (see AAAC Chapters in our website). These chapters constitute an enormous effort to link anatomy to medical and other health sciences applications with the idea of developing our discipline and its applications in the field of health.
These Chapters are:
a) Chapter of Anatomy and Biology of Human Development.
b) Chapter of Anatomy of Nursing.
c) Chapter of Anatomy Applied to Vascular Neurosurgery.
d) Chapter of Research in Anatomy Applied to Gynecology.
e) Chapter of Ecográfica Anatomy.
f) Argentinean Chapter of Anatomy Applied to Interventionism.
From September 21 to 23, Buenos Aires was held in the Pre-Congress and from 24 to 26 September, the 4th Congress of the Argentine Association of Clinical Anatomy, the 1st International Congress of Clinical Anatomy, the 12th Congress of the Argentine Society of Morphological Sciences and the 1st Symposium of the Argentine Forum of Chairs of Anatomy and Morphological Sciences.
The Congress was held in Paseo La Plaza (Avenida Corrientes 1660) of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires and in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Buenos Aires. In a framework of camaraderie and meeting with colleagues from different regions of the country and abroad, we enjoy organized academic and social activities. We were accompanied by teachers from different regions of the country and more than 20 countries from all continents. In Congress, important prizes were awarded to the best works submitted. Those who wish to consult in more detail the topics addressed during the 4th AAAC Congress can be directed to the web page of our association to the magazine of the AAAC (Rev Arg de Anat Clin, 2015, 7 (3): 157-190) whose Link is:
At the Ordinary General Assembly we elected the new authorities that lead the destinies of our Association since January 2, 2016.
- President: Dr. Raúl BELTRAMINO
- Vice-president: Dr. Luis Esteban CRIADO DEL RÍO
- Secretary: Dra. Alicia PENISSI
- Treasurer: Dra. Manuel BRAHIM
- 1st Principal Chair: Dr. Anibal OJEDA
- 2nd Principal Chair: Dr. Gustavo GRGICEVIC CORVALÁN
- 3rd Principal Chair: Enf. Univ. Hugo CHOCOBAR
- 1st Alternate Chair: Dr. Rubén LÓPEZ
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Dr. Marcelo RUGGIERI
- 3rd Alternate Chair: Dr. Javier STIGLIANO
- 1st Principal: Dra. Elia del Carmen MARTINO GRELLET
- 2nd Principal: Dr. Juan Carlos LUCIARTE
- 1st Alternate: Dra. Claudia LEANES
- 2nd Alternate: Dr. Edgardo BETTUCCI
- 1st Principal: Dr. Sergio TAMAYO
- 2nd Principal: Dr. Raúl AUDI
- 1st Alternate: Dra. Ana CARO
On June 4, 2016 Dr. Beltramino renounces his position as President of the AAAC and the Board of Directors is constituted as follows:. President Luis Esteban Criado del Rio . Vice: Alicia Penissi. Secretary: Anibal Ojeda. Treasurer: Manuel Brahim. 1 Vocal Gustavo Grgicevic 2 Vocal Hugo Chocobar and 3 Vocal Rubén López.
During 22nd and 23rd of September 2016 the IV Conference on Research and Teaching in Clinical Anatomy was held in the University City of Córdoba organized by the Argentine Association of Clinical Anatomy and chaired by Prof. Dr. Edgardo Betucci. It counted with the participation of 205 registered of which 70 were professionals and 135 students. There were 3 Foreign Professors: Prof. Dr. Eduardo Olivera, Prof. Dr. Armand Ugon from Uruguay and Prof. Dr. Joao Toledo Neto from Brazil. Round Tables, lectures, five discussion tables for Professionals and 5 discussion tables for Students were held.
A total of 41 free papers were presented orally, the National Meeting of the Body Procurement Commission of the AAAC was finalized, and the formation of the Committee for the Graduate Accreditation in Anatomy, Histology and Clinical Embryology was approved.
The 2nd International Congress and V Argentine Congress of Clinical Anatomy was held in the city of Córdoba between 20 and 23 September 2017 . On September 19, the meeting of the Executive Committee of the International Federation of Associations of Anatomists (IFAA) took place. The Congress was an international event of high relevance that featured outstanding academics who represented the four continents that participated in the scientific activities through conferences, round tables and presentation of research papers.
Professors Phil Blyth (New Zealand), Georg Feigl (Austria), Jameela Hassanali (Kenya), David Kachlik (Czech Republic), Beverly Kramer (South Africa), Elia del C. Martino (Argentina), Helen Nicholson (New Zealand) and Ancuta Stefan (United States of North America) were distinguished as Honorary Members of the Argentine Association of Clinical Anatomy.
In the Ordinary General Assembly the new authorities that lead the destinies of our Association were chosen from January 2, 2018.
- President: Dr. Manuel BRAHIM
- Vice-president: Dr. Marcelo RUGGIERI
- Secretary: Enf. Univ. Hugo CHOCOBAR
- Treasurer: Dr. Carlos SALAS
- 1st Principal Chair: Dra. Claudia LEANES
- 2nd Principal Chair: Odon. Nestor Ariel JACHYMIAK
- 3rd Principal Chair: Dra. Alicia PENISSI
- 1st Alternate Chair: Dr. Odon. Mariano Amer
- 2nd Alternate Chair: Dr. Javier STIGLIANO
- 1st Principal: Dr. Anibal OJEDA
- 2nd Principal: Dr. Juan HANTECOUR
- 1st Alternate: Dr. Rubén LÓPEZ
- 2nd Alternate: Dr. Sebastián LOPEZ BUBICA
- 1st Principal: Dr. Julio César AVELLANEDA
- 2nd Principal: Dra. Jazmín Azul FRAIRE
- 1st Alternate: Dr. Sergio TAMAYO Dra. Ana CARO